Notice of appointment of date for the exercise of public rights

Accounts for the year ended 31st March 2019


The Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, and

The Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2015 (SI 234)


1.   Date of announcement:   24TH MAY 2019                                                     

2.   Each year the Council's Annual Return is audited by an auditor appointed by Public Sector Audit Appointments Limited. Any person interested has the right to inspect and make copies of the accounts to be audited and all books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts relating to them. For the year ended 31 March 2019 these documents will be available on reasonable notice on application to:


 Lyn Davis
 Clerk and RFO, Cranfield Parish Council
 6 South Vale
 Yardley Hastings
 NN7 1HG


            commencing on       3RD JUNE 2019

             and ending on         12TH JULY 2019

3.   Local Government Electors and their representatives also have:

  • the opportunity to question the auditor about the accounts; and
  • the right to make objections to the accounts or any item in them. Written notice of an objection must first be given to the auditor and a copy sent to the Council.


The auditor can be contacted at the address in paragraph 4 below for this purpose during the inspection period at 2 above.

4.      The audit is being conducted under the provisions of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014, the Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2015 and the National Audit Office’ Code of Audit Practice.  Your audit is being carried out by:


                                Mazars LLP, Salvus Aykley Heads, Durham, DH1 5TS


5.    This announcement is made by LYN DAVIS, CLERK AND RFO





Councils’ Accounts: A Summary of Public Rights

The basic position

By law any interested person has the right to inspect a council’s/meeting’s accounts.  If you are entitled and registered to vote in local council elections then you (or your representative) have additional rights to ask the appointed auditor questions about the council’s accounts or object to an item of account contained within them.

The right to inspect the accounts

When your council has finalised its accounts for the previous financial year it must advertise that they are available for people to inspect. Having given the council reasonable notice of your intentions, you then have 30 working days to look through the accounting statements in the Annual Return and any supporting documents. By arrangement, you will be able to inspect and make copies of the accounts and the relevant documents. You may have to pay a copying charge.

The right to ask the auditor questions about the accounts

You can only ask the appointed auditor questions about the accounts. The auditor does not have to answer questions about the council’s policies, finances, procedures or anything else not related to the accounts. Your questions must be about the accounts for the financial year just ended. The auditor does not have to say whether they think something the council has done, or an item in its accounts, is lawful or reasonable.

The right to object to the accounts

If you think that the council has spent money that it should not have, or that someone has caused a loss to the council deliberately or by behaving irresponsibly, you can request the auditor to apply to the courts for a declaration that an item of account is contrary to law. You do this by sending a formal ‘notice of objection’ to the auditor at the address below. The notice must be in writing and copied to the council. In it, you must tell the auditor why you are objecting and what you want the auditor to do about it. The auditor must reach a decision on your objection. If you are not happy with that decision, you can appeal to the courts.

You may also object if you think that there is something in the accounts that the auditor should discuss with the council or tell the public about in a ‘public interest report’. You must follow the same procedure as outlined in the previous paragraph. The auditor must then decide whether to take any action. The auditor does not have to, but usually will, give reasons for his/her decision and you cannot appeal to the courts. More information is available on the National Audit Office website (see contact details below).

You may not use this ‘right to object’ to make a personal complaint or claim against your council. You should take such complaints to your local Citizens’ Advice Bureau, local Law Centre or your solicitor. You may also be able to approach the Standards Committee of your local principal authority if you believe that a member of the council has broken the Code of Conduct for Members.

What else you can do

Instead of objecting, you can give the auditor information that is relevant to his/her responsibilities. For example, you can simply tell the auditor if you think that something is wrong with the accounts or about waste and inefficiency in the way the council runs its services. You should make it clear that you are providing information rather than making a formal objection. You do not have to follow any set time limits or procedures. The auditor does not have to give you a detailed report of any subsequent investigation, but will usually tell you the outcome.

A final word

Councils, and so local taxpayers, must meet the costs of dealing with questions and objections. In deciding whether to take your objection forward, one of a series of factors the auditor must take into account is the cost that will be involved. The auditor will only continue with the objection if it is in the public interest to do so. If you appeal to the courts, you might have to pay for the action yourself.


Who should you contact?

For more detailed guidance on electors’ rights and the special powers of auditors, copies of the publication Council Accounts – a guide to your rights are available by calling the National Audit Office on 020 7798 7000 or downloading from the website 

If you wish to contact your Council’s appointed external auditor please write to:


Cameron Waddell, Mazars LLP, Salvus House, Aykley Heads, Durham, DH1 5TS       



15:54, 21 May 2019 by Parish Clerk

Community Speed Watch

 A recent traffic survey carried out on the High Street has indicated numerous violations of the speed limit and the Parish Council is committed to introducing a Community Speed Watch (CSW) scheme around the village to help people reduce traffic speeding through their neighbourhood.

 Excessive speed through neighbourhoods is one of the most common issues raised with Councillors and has an impact not only on road safety but on the quality of life for those residents that endure it. 

The scheme enables volunteers to work within their community to raise awareness of the dangers of speeding and to help control the problem locally.  The scheme is supported by Central Bedfordshire Council, Bedfordshire Police, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service and Bedford and District Neighbourhood Watch. 

Aims of Community Speed Watch 

Community Speed Watch seeks to promote safer driving in our local communities by educating rather than prosecuting individuals. However, data collected by Community Speed Watch groups will be passed to Bedfordshire Police who may undertake speed checks and result in drivers being prosecuted. 

Getting involved as a volunteer 

Community Speed Watch requires a group of at least 2 trained volunteers to operate.  Having registered as a volunteer you will be offered a training course run by Bedfordshire Police.  Equipment will also be provided.

 If you are interested in volunteering, please contact either

 the Clerk to the Council on


Telephone: 07930 951729


PCSO 3659 Gill Richardson, Police Community Support Officer


Tel: 101 or 01525 630188

Mob: 07931 294618


10:37, 24 Jan 2019 by Parish Clerk

Covanta Energy’s Rookery South Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) at Rookery South Pit, a former brick clay extraction pit, is being developed near Stewartby in Bedfordshire. 

The ERF is a sustainable alternative to landfill, using household, commercial and non-hazardous industrial residual waste, left after recycling and composting efforts, as fuel to generate clean electricity. The facility will provide a vital outlet for the sustainable disposal of over 500,000 tonnes of residual waste per year and will generate over 60 megawatts of low carbon energy – enough electricity to meet the needs of 75,000 homes. To find out more about the project development itself, please click here 

The Rookery South Community Energy Initiative (RSCEI) is a 35 year financial commitment by Covanta to specified householders, subject to their current and future eligibility, starting at commercial operation of the ERF (expected in early 2022). 

Covanta is unable to supply electricity directly to neighbouring communities; however, Covanta has committed to contribute £60 per household, per year, through the RSCEI towards the electricity costs of households in qualifying parishes, payable from the first year of operation, and index linked for the following years.

 Covanta has appointed GrantScape Services Ltd to manage the Community Energy Initiative on its behalf.   Residents of households (as at 31 December 2018) in the parishes of Brogborough, Cranfield, Houghton Conquest, Lidlington, Marston Moretaine, Millbrook, Stewartby and Wootton will be invited to register for the RSCEI. 

Registration Forms will be posted to eligible households by the end of February 2019 and will be available online. Registration Forms must be submitted by 28 June 2019. 

To find out more go to



15:37, 17 Jan 2019 by Parish Clerk


Use the calendar or list of months to view entries made on those dates.

      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

RSS Feed

If you have a feed reader you can use this link to get updates.

RSS feed